We’re happy to answer all your questions. Here are a few of our most frequently asked questions:
Who can qualify for a Habitat house?
In general, any person or family who meets the 3 basic Habitat criteria can qualify for a house. Often these are people who are unable to meet the income and credit history requirements of banks.
What 3 criteria must a family meet to partner with Macomb Habitat?
- A Need for Shelter: Your current housing conditions are substandard. This could be due to structural, plumbing, heating, overcrowding, or infestation problems, as examples.
- A Willingness to Partner: 250 sweat equity hours are required of each adult family member, and a $1,000 down payment will be accumulated over the course of the homeownership program. This may include Habitat office work, helping with Habitat functions, and on-site building.
- Ability to Pay: Legal verifiable income that falls within income range (see chart below). Employment, credit, and manageable debt histories are all reviewed and weighed.
How can I submit my Homeowner Application?
- In Person: This is the fastest and most efficient way to submit your application and be notified if you need more documentation.
- Via Mail: Mail your completed application and all required documents to our main offices located at: 25 North Main Street, Mount Clemens, MI 48043. If you are missing documentation, it may take longer for you to be notified.
- Email or Electronic Submission: Electronic submissions are not accepted at this time, due to the sensitive nature of some documents.
Once I submit the Homeownership Application, then what?
- Wait to hear from the Family Selection Committee–typically this will occur within 4-6 weeks of successful application submission.
- One of three scenarios will occur:
- You will receive a letter requesting additional information.
- You will receive a denial letter.
- You may receive a call asking to schedule a home visit.
- One of three scenarios will occur:
Is a credit check required?
We are now offering only “low interest” mortgages and a credit score of 600 or higher is required to qualify for application. A credit score of 640 or higher will be required to close on a home. Not sure what your credit score is? Check it on Credit Karma for free!
Must I be working to qualify for a Habitat house?
No, you are not required to be working to qualify. However, you must meet the income requirements outlined in the Family Selection Criteria.
Will a “bankruptcy” make me ineligible for a Habitat house?
Macomb Habitat requires applicants to wait a minimum of two years after a bankruptcy before applying for a Habitat home. This two year wait gives Habitat a window to see how successfully you’ve managed your finances since the bankruptcy.
Does owning a home disqualify my Homeownership Application?
Yes it does.
Are food stamps considered income?
No, food stamps are not considered income.
Can I still apply for a Habitat home if I’m currently Section 8 and/or qualify for low-income government housing?
Yes, you may still apply for a Habitat home.
What are the time frames for application approval and building completion?
Once your initial application materials are turned in the wait can be up to five months. Since the process is quite involved and there is so much at stake, it takes ample time to thoroughly consider each family’s unique situation. Applicants determined “ineligible” are usually notified within a month. The building process can vary and is somewhat dependent on weather, volunteers, labor, and materials. We often receive more applicants than we have homes available.
If approved, do I get to choose from among the available locations?
No, you cannot choose your location, though, you do have the option of turning down a location. The next available family is then offered that location and your name is put back on the waiting list.